Online Multimedia Resources
Multimedia resources — most often the combination of audio, video, graphics, and/or text — are becoming an important source of information in the sudden and unexpected infant/child death and pregnancy loss community.
Below are listed selected materials on SIDS, safe sleep, and related topics that can be accessed directly online.
If you would like to suggest additional resources or inquire about videos for loan or for purchase, please contact the Resource Center.
Table of Contents:
- Multimedia Series: Wisdom from the Field
- ASIP-AMCHP SIDS/SUID Research Webinar Series
- PowerPoints and Archived Webcasts
- Troubleshooting Tips for Viewing Videos Online
The Resource Center has launched Wisdom from the Field, a video and audio podcast series featuring personal stories from a wide range of people in the Sudden, Unexpected Infant/Child Death and Pregnancy Loss field, including parents, doctors and nurse practitioners, researchers, members of the faith-based community, bereavement counselors, and others.
- VIDEO: Hot Topics in Infant Safe Sleep: An Interactive Workshop with Rachel Moon, M.D. A pre-conference workshop that was part of the Association of SIDS and Infant Mortality Programs (ASIP) 2010 International Conference on Perinatal and Infant Death, held in November 2010. The workshop featured Rachel Moon discussing safe sleep and related topics with a room full of practitioners. With active participation from the eager crowd, Dr. Moon's research meets the real world in these sessions.
- First Candle's 2009 Research and Advocacy Syposium: Multimedia Proceedings (2009). First Candle brought together leading researchers, bereaved family members, health professionals and others to explore current research efforts and strategies for saving infant lives.
The Program Support Center and the Resource Center have collaborated to provide multimedia resources from the symposium.
The symposium page, which won an APEX Award for Publication Excellence in the Microsite and Individual Web Page category, contains multimedia content from the symposium; click to listen and view the multimedea resources.
- Home Visiting and Grief Counseling (2008). Project IMPACT and Resource Center
(21:31 min.) Two Tomorrow's Child/Michigan SIDS bereavement support nurses speak of their experiences providing home visits to grieving families. They discuss common themes that arise for mothers, fathers, extended family and friends after the loss of a pregnancy or the death of an infant.
Visit the podcast page to listen to the whole podcast, or annotated excerpts.
- Sudden Unexpected Infant Death (SUID): Research, Success and Challenges (ASIP/AMCHP Webinar Series #1), February 11, 2010.
- New Research Into Sudden Infant Death: Unraveling the Mystery of SIDS (ASIP-AMCHP Webinar Series #2), May 20, 2010
- Opportunities in Health Reform to Prevent Infant Death (ASIP-AMCHP Webinar Series #3), September 16, 2010
- Addressing Racial Disparities in Infant Sleep Practice: New Perspectives and Recommendations (ASIP-AMCHP Webinar Series #4), December 9, 2010
- Infant Sleep Position and Bed Sharing: Using PRAMS to Impact Programs and Policy (ASIP-AMCHP Webinar Series #5), June 26, 2011
- AAP Task Force: SIDS and Other Sleep-Related Infant Deaths: Expansion of Recommendations for a Safe Infant Sleeping Environment (ASIP-AMCHP Webinar Series #6), November 9, 2011
- Pregnancy in the Context of a Woman's Lifespan (ASIP-AMCHP-NFIMR Webinar Series) September 6, 2012
- Social Media to Encourage Safe Sleep Environments (and Much More!) July 25, 2012
- Rock a Bye Baby, Now Safely Lay Me Down to Sleep: Infant Suffocation Deaths in the Sleep Environment September 8, 2011. Hosted by the National Center for the Review and Prevention of Child Deaths and the Children's Safety Network:
- Infant Mortality and Racism Action Learning Collaborative: Community Recommendations For Reducing Racial Disparities in Infant Mortality (2010). Link to blog, presentation, and slides of Webcast conducted by the UIC Maternal and Child Health Program and the UIC Mid-America Public Health Training Center.
- Baby Sleep Safety – Reducing the Risk of SIDS (no date). Unnarrated slide presentation by Chris Towland of Baby Sleep Solution. (2:20min.)
- Fetal and Infant Mortality Review (FIMR) Home Interview: Process and Issues Archive (2006). MCH Learning webcast. Introduction by Kathleen Buckley on the FIMR process, and presentation by Jodi Shaefer and Patt Young on basic principles of conducting a home interview following the unexpected death of an infant. Video plus slides plus captioning are available for Mac and Windows; plus slides, transcript, and audio separately.
- Improving Infant Death Investigation Through Doll Re-Enactment. (no date). Video, slides, audio, and transcript of the April 28, 2009 Webcast conducted by the Maternal and Child Health Bureau.
- Safe Sleep (no date). (23 slides) Annotated PowerPoint presentation by Betty Connal of SIDS Mid-Atlantic.
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome: Facts for NICU Nurses (2009). Upstate Medical University, State University of New York. Continuing education unit. (33:38 minutes)
- Sudden Unexpected Infant Death (SUID): National Developments, Initiatives, Studies, and Opportunities (2009). Video, slides, audio, and transcript of the March 30, 2009 Webcast, organized by Project IMPACT.
- A Toolkit for Reducing Infant Mortality: Standards, Regulatory, and Legislative Strategies (2006). Links to audio/slides, captions/transcript options. (1:30 hr.)
- Rethinking SIDS: Many Deaths No Longer a Mystery (2011). NPR's All Things Considered discusses the terminology of SIDS and SUID. (6:24 minutes)
Safe Infant Sleep videos analyzed by AAP recommendations.
- 24-7 EMS: SIDS and EMS (no date). Paramedic TV and Northwest Infant Survival & SIDS Alliance (5:50 min.)
- Being With Patients When the News is Bad. (2007). Gundersen Lutheran Medical Foundation. DVD of scenarios that depict ineffective approaches to being with patients when there is a pregnancy loss, as well as approaches that produce positive outcomes. The DVD addresses early pregnancy loss, miscarriage, stillbirth, and newborn death. Available to order online.
- Beyond Sweet Dreams and Bedtime Stories: Supporting Healthy Sleep for Infants and Toddlers (2009). Office of Head Start. Practical tips for Early Head Start and Migrant and Seasonal Head Start staff that support the implementation of healthy infant and toddler sleep practices in center-based care and with families.
- The Child Cases. Frontline episode examines the investigation of sudden child deaths.
- Cribs for Kids Instructional and Safe Sleep 30-sec. PSA on DVD (no date). Cribs for Kids. 30-second public service announcement portraying unsafe sleep situations for babies, followed by a 10-minute video on safe sleep tips to reduce the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) and on using a Graco Pack-n-Play portable crib. Order form.
- Crisis in the Crib: Saving Our Nation's Babies (2009). Office of Minority Health. This video focuses on the issue of infant mortality in the African-American community. Windows Media Player version (36:19 min.)
- Essential Tummy Time Moves (no date). Pathways Awareness (4.23 min.)
Your Baby Sleep Safely. (ca. 2008). Stanislaus County,
CA. Video (5:49 min.), brochure, poster in English and
- Hidden Hazards of Placing Babies in Adult Beds (ca. 2002). Consumer Product Safety Commission. (7:32 min.)
- Hot Topics in Infant Safe Sleep: An Interactive Workshop with Rachel Moon, M.D. from the ASIP-Pregnancy Loss and Infant Death Alliance 2010 International Conference on Perinatal and Infant Death (November 2010).
- NEW! ICAN TRAINING: Child Death Review Team Overview (no date). A 7-minute overview of the process and function of a child death review team. Both of the following files will take some time to download (7:00 min.) Requires Quicktime.
The following titles are avialable to order at no charge in Video of DVD format:
- Child Death Review: A National Perspective - Part 1: A complete mock case review of a fictitious child death case.
- Child Death Review: A National Perspective - Part 2: A complete mock case review of a fictitious child death case.
- Working With Grieving Children: A therapist working with young children helps them confront issues of grief and mourning.
- Infant Safe Sleep (no date). Tomorrow's Child: Michigan SIDS, funded by the CJ Foundation for SIDS (6:20 min.)
- Infusing Cultural and Linguistic Competence into Health Promotion Training (no date). National Sudden and Unexpected Infant/Child Death and Pregnancy Loss Project at the National Center for Cultural Competence.
- Keep Infants Sleeping Safely (KISS) (2007). Regional Health Alliance, (Calhoun County), Battle Creek, Michigan. English | Spanish. (10 min.)
- Learn How to Put Your Baby to Sleep Safely (no date). Consumer Product
Safety Commission. Short versions (3-4 min.) in English and Spanish; long version (12 min.) in English.
- Losing Leah -- Don't Let it Happen to You (no date). Foundation for the Study of Infant Deaths (FSID). Winner of the Media Trust competition, this video promotes safe sleep advice to teenage parents in the United Kingdom. (4:40 min.)
- Researchers Believe Many SIDS Deaths are Preventable (no date). Minnesota Public Radio. (3:54 min.)
- Safe sleep (2010). Consumer Product Safety Commission. (1:04 min.)
- Sleep Safe: Alone. Back. Crib. No Exceptions (2010). Baltimore County Health Department. Contact for availability and price: email@example.com or 410-396-3298. ( 7 min.)
- Safe Sleep: It’s Essential (no date). Michigan Department of Human Services. (2:20 min.) Requires RealPlayer.
- Safe Sleep for New Born Babies (no date). Andrea Grace narrates this video. (4:49 min.)
- Safe Sleep for Your Baby (2004). Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services (4:18 min.)
- Safe Sleep for Your Baby Right From the Start (2008). SIDS of Pennsylvania. $20. Order form. (14 min.)
- NEW! Safe Sleep Practices (2012). Eastern Virginia Medical School. (5:50 min.)
- Safe Sleep Safe Crib: You Can Help (ca. 2009). SIDS of Illinois. $10.00. Available in video or DVD formats, in English or Spanish. (12 min.) Order form.
- Safe Sleep Saves Lives: Back is Best for Baby's Sleep and Other Tips for Parents and Caregivers (2009). First Candle. English | Spanish. (17 min.)
- Seven Steps to Reduce the Risk of SIDS. (2006). InJoy Videos.
Video for parents showing steps to reduce an infant’s
risk for SIDS (14 min.). Available in DVD and VHS formats,
and in English and Spanish. Available to order online.
- Shaken Baby Syndrome (no date). Epilepsy Association of Central Florida.
- Shaken Baby Syndrome (no date). Nebraska Dept. of Health and Human Services.
- SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) (2007). Q&A with Pediatrician Dr. Scott Cohen of Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. Three-part video:
- SIDS, Reducing the Risk. (2010). Spokane Regional Health District. (8:49 min.)
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS): Reducing the Risk -- Online Training for Nurses (2008). Seattle Children's Hospital and Program Support Center. (58 min.)